City of Orting Homepage
                       110 Train Street SE - PO Box 489 - Orting, WA 98360 - 360.893.2219


StormwaterPublic Works Office Number:

(360) 893-2219 ext. 139

Your Stormwater (Utility) Bill:

(360) 893-2219 ext. 113

Illicit Discharge Hotline:

(360) 893-2219 ext. 333

After Hours Emergency Number: (253) 377-0262

Fax Number: (360) 893- 6809

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is Illicit Discharge?

A. Illicit discharge means any discharge to a municipal separate storm sewer that is not composed entirely of storm water except discharges pursuant to an NPDES permit (other than the NPDES permit for discharges from the municipal separate storm sewer) and discharges resulting from fire fighting activities. For more information on illicit discharge or reporting an illicit discharge, please click on the Illicit Discharge link above.

Q. Can I drain my hot-tub or pool water into the storm drain?

A. ITS BEST TO CONTACT THE CITY PRIOR TO DRAINING. Here are a couple of tips once you have: Improper disposal of pool water into a storm drain is harmful to the environment because it enters the storm drain system untreated. Pool water may contain chlorine, copper and filter backwash that can harm local creeks and rivers and the wildlife that live there.Dechlorinate your pool water prior to discharge to the storm drain by adding a chemical dechlorinator (available from pool supply stores) or by letting the chlorine decrease on its own. If possible, let the water filter over a grassy area on it’s way to the storm drain. Discharge pool water to the storm drain only if you know it doesn’t contain harmful concentrations of chlorine and copper. A pool maintenance company or local analytical laboratory can help you determine the concentration of chlorine and copper in your pool.

Q. What is West Nile Virus?

A. West Nile virus (WNV) is a potentially serious illness. Experts believe WNV is established as a seasonal epidemic in North America that flares up in the summer and continues into the fall. West Nile virus is a bird disease that’s spread by infected mosquitoes.

The City of Orting is aware of this potential and is actively treating the storm ponds through a third party Licensed Pesticide Sprayer with an Aquatic Mosquito Control Permit. To read more about WNV visit the Washington State Department of Health website by clicking HERE.

Q. What is a riparian area?

A. Riparian areas are alongside the Puyallup and Carbon Rivers; inhabiting the banks of a natural course of water. Riparian zones are ecologically diverse and contribute to the health of other aquatic ecosystems by filtering out pollutants and preventing erosion. Salmon in the Pacific Northwest feed off riparian insects; trees such as the black walnut, the American sycamore, and the cottonwood thrive in riparian environments. In addition, the City of Orting relies on riparian areas to help divert excess ground water from heavy rainfalls, which eventually reach an outfall along the riverbanks allowing the excess groundwater to discharge into the rivers.

© City of Orting . Site Created and Hosted by Networked Listings
Admin Login | Report a Broken Link | Privacy Policy

110 Train Street SE - PO Box 489
Orting, WA 98360 - 360.893.2219